tuning Ricca 1913 to 440/435/25c flat?

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:44:36 -0800

I forgot to mention - the bottom board has a crack along 80% of the length
under the pedal assembly, but the pedals still work -- the sustain pedal
isn't quite sensitive enough though and the soft is a bit too sensitive.

 > I have the Ricca & Son piano I've mentioned previously in postings, and
I plan to tune it (AGAIN!) tonight.  I just tuned it the week before X-mas
but it already sounds bad!  The piano is right next to the back door, with
the front door down the hall, and a wood stove across the 15-foot room.  I
had tuned it around A-440, but the treble likes to go flat quickly.  I was
wondering -- should  I leave/put it back at 440, or put it at 435 where
pianos made in that era (1913, and this piano isn't in very good shape), or
tune it 25c flat to compensate for when I play with recordings, some of
which are 50c flat and others of which are at 440?  When I originally got
the piano last September/October it was at A-415, or a semitone (100c) flat.