Was it something I said?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:35:17 -0600

>>If you see boards cracking again right next to the shim, my guess is that
>>either it was not glued in properly, board was not dried properly, or board
>>was not glued back to the ribs at the crack properly. Also, I can get real
>
>Or... a brand new shim made from fresh improperly dried wood  was used.
>
>Cut shims from old boards instead. They're already dry.
>
>                 John

I shim, but don't see anything wrong with epoxy either. I just enjoy wood
chopping. Supply house shimming knives belong to the supply houses. Let
them keep theirs and make a nice sharp one that works for yourself. You
have to cut or scrape, rather than compression wedging the V. If the board
and shims are properly dried, the V is cleanly cut, and the shim goes the
full depth of the panel thickness, the incidence of cracking later is low.
Most of the time, when I see cracked shimming work where the rest of the
panel isn't cracking up too, the shim depth was less than the panel
thickness. Shims cut from old panels aren't deep enough, in my opinion, and
that's why I make mine from new stock.

Just another opinion.

Ron N