Kimball-was Electric Pilgrim's Progress

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:48:36 EST

List,

I'm glad so many are expressing their opinions.  If I were to take seriously
all the bad things that people say about Kimball pianos, I'd have to think
that the Kimball studio piano that my father bought for our family with five
children in 1960 (built in the Chicago plant) and which he allowed me to
learn to tune on and which he, being an engineer, taught me the importance of
tight flanges and proper alignment, was really a "PSO" bought principally to
take up space against one of the walls in our living room.

Hardly.  Five children got piano lessons on a piano that was within the range
of what could be afforded, not on credit but with cash.  This, from parents
who grew up dirt poor in the dust bowls and economic depression of the 1930's
and who fought for freedom in World War II.  That piano today resides with my
sister, who plays it every morning and regularly on other occasions.  Her two
children are learning music from it.  Recently, it needed tuning and because
I could not be there immediately to tune it, I gave the referral to a member
of this List who lives in her neighborhood. Fortunately, he didn't go there
with the wrong kind of attitude.

Yes, I have seen my share of manufacturing defects that came out of the
plants in southern Indiana.  I have tightened flanges, leveled keys, reset
the positions of actions, driven tuning pins, fixed faulty coils, replaced
strings, regulated, filed and aligned hammers, all just the same as I might
have been called upon to do with virtually any other kind of piano.  I have
made good money doing it.  I have made people happy and proud of the piano
they own and have put music in the homes of children who benifit from it.

I choose to live in an area that I consider *livable*.  There are nice pianos
around and I get to tune and service many of them.  There are also the ones
called "low end" too.  I really don't like those Winter spinets either.  But
I have a neighbor who has one, she grew up with it on their farm.  She
practically *begs* me to give her an appointment.  She always pays cash and
the going rate.  And aside from when I have to do some other maintenance, I
am done in 35 minutes at the most.  That's a much better return for my time
than I get with higher end work.

I have never tuned or worked on a Kimball where I felt that I had no control
over the situation as is implied by the "nailing Jell-O to the wall" analogy.
 On the contrary, I have always been in control, knew what to do and how to
do it, got the job done to professional standards and got good money for it.

Kimball, by the way, is not out of business nor did they go bankrupt.  It is
my understanding that the company saw then end coming to the market for the
kind of product it was making.  So many of their products are still out there
being used, providing income for Tuner-Technicians, being sold and traded and
will continue to do so, probably well past the time when the badmouthers
themselves have passed on.

The used piano market and the electronic keyboards have largely filled the
market for the kind of instrument Kimball produced, so they decided to quit
while they were *ahead*.  Kimball still makes furniture and high quality
laminated wood products.  The last I knew, they still made cases for other
piano companies to their specifications.

I never had a problem tuning verticals until last summer when I injured my
right shoulder.  It is far easier for me to tune a grand.  For the spinets
and the tall uprights, I've had to endure pain and fatigue and figure out
ways to get around the problem.  If I suddenly decided I was going to be one
of those "I only do grands" kind of guys, however, I'd be on vacation half of
the time.  To many ordinary techs, if they had the kind of attitude that I
see some high profile, easy to let loose with the list of all they hate and
*won't* do techs, they'd have no work at all.

You couldn't get me to live in NYC for love nor money although I sure do like
going there.  To me, having to drive the concrete jungle of Los Angeles where
I grew up is nothing to aspire to either.  I like the four seasons, the green
hills, the blue skies, the fresh air and the comfortable lifestyle of the
small city where I live.  There's plenty of variety in my work and plenty of
opportunity to expand skills and be creative.  In the 32 years I've been in
business, I've never repeated the experience of a previous year yet.  In
fact, the opportunity for me to experiment and create a new temperament and
octave system was available to me here where I am sure that in a place like
NY or LA, it would not have been.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin