Was it something I said?

Sat, 06 Jan 2001 21:24:50 +0100

Paul wrote:

> Richard
> Almost all the boards I've seen shimmed have cracked again along side the
> repair. Most of the jobs were done by reputable techs. I think it's our damp
> to dry, summer-winter weather that's responsible. I do not shim or use epoxy
> if the board is cracked but otherwise good.

Thats my experience also... extremely rare to find a shimmed piano that hasnt
re-cracked along on side of the shim... from my experience. Course some of the
reasons may have been properly stated by Terry, Jon, and others... but then
there you have it... regardless of the causes...they re-crack wayyyyy to often.

I dont shim at all anymore. I will fill cracks if I have the strings off.. but
this is primarilly a "just in case" proceedure aimed mostly at giving the ribs
that extra little bit of holding power. I open the cracks just enough to be able
to drip in the thinnest epoxy I can.

But hey... if somebody can guaranttee a good shim... go for it.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.