rib glueing

Garold Beyer garbey@wingsisp.com
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:32:47 -0500

Anyone,
 Having taken the plunge to replace soundboards, I need a rib press. The
traditional go-bar press won't do because of space limitations. Having
searched the archives and back issues of the Journal I'm thinking of
building a variation of the pneumatic presses as described by Claire Davies
in the 10/87 Journal and David Hughes in 9/93. In the archives I saw
references to "individual rib clamps" being used by several people on this
list and would be interested in knowing more specifics. Of course at this
point I have more questions than I can give thought to but any ideas from
those that use any space saving but practical and effective methods would be
appreciated.
 One question I have concerns clamping pressure. The Davies press gives
100PSI which seems excessive compared to the Hughes variant at 35PSI which
seems more reasonable to me.
 Another question concerns bottom caul configuration. If one is using
straight ribs and compression crowning (I am), does pressing into a curved
surface have any material effect on the crown or is Jack Krefting correct
when he stated in one of his series of articles that it does not.
 Also, I plan on using the individually inflatable system with "Schrader
valves" as in the Hughes article but must confess these are unfamiliar to me
and I need to know where to obtain them and also what sort of supplier I can
try to locally get 1 1/4" mill hose.
 I guess you can see that this whole project is in the very elementary stage
so any direction you experienced soundboard installers that use similar
systems can point me in can help me immensely.
Thanks much,
Garold Beyer