Capstans

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 22:15:00 -0500

At 08:30 PM 01/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > Watch yourself here...David might get all over you for even implying
> > use of his technique without being an installer.  Very shaky ground here.
> > If figures have not been calculated by an authorized Precision TouchDesign
> > agent, they can not be termed Stanwood.
>
>I think I am correct to say that anything to do with weighing off hammers
>and keys (front weights) and saying Precision TouchDesign
>in the same sentence should/must indeed come from an authorized Precision
>TouchDesign agent. However, anything to do with action geometry, such as
>relocating capstans, is something that technicians have been doing for many
>decades (at least some have anyway). I do not believe David Stanwood has any
>patents covering action geometry, and specifically, capstan relocating. But
>I have not read the text of his patents - but I think they only cover
>weighing off/balancing strike weight, key front weight, and the
>formulas/calculations required to get them.

To say that you will "Stanwoodize" without specifications is not applying
David's
system, and as such should not have his name attached to it. David's system
is a
calculated process and to lend his name to a generic 'rewhatever' is
misleading,
as unintentional as it was.

I'm certain David would like his process to be well known with everyone but
would not
appreciate the loss of product identity through casual lingo. Some product
names have,
through casual usage, replaced product nomenclature; Bandaid for adhesive
bandages,
Kleenex for facial tissue.  It would be a long time before "Precision
TouchDesign" or
"Stanwood" becomes a household words but to infer David's process for general
action geometry modification is completely incorrect.

I understand Richard's enthusiasm and interest in action optimizing, I just
want to
clarify terminology.

Get on board...  get the lead out   :-)

Jon Page

>Terry Farrell
>
> > At 11:40 PM 01/06/2001 +0100, you wrote:
> > >Hi list
> > >
> > >Have a problem I would like to consult with you all on. Ran into
> > >a grand what has loose capstans..... to the point that they sink
> > >right down in deep after a few blows of the key. Nice eh ??
> > >
> > >Now this grand is going to get a Stanwoodizing job in the not too
> > >distant future so I will have a chance then to really fix the
> > >problem... but in the meantime it needs to be in near concert
> > >condition. Soooo....
> >
> > Watch yourself here...David might get all over you for even implying
> > use of his technique without being an installer.  Very shaky ground here.
> > If figures have not been calculated by an authorized Precision TouchDesign
> > agent, they can not be termed Stanwood.
> >
> > >What is your prefered method of temp fixing loose capstans on a
> > >quality instrument that you know for certain you are going to fix
> > >up nicely in a few months ??
> >
> > I don't know if there is an easy way aside from removing the capstan and
> > swabbing
> > the hole with CA or a veneer shim.  You can make a test and drip some CA
>in
> > along side.
> > Remove the stack, feed it in, turn them occasionally to keep them from
> > freezing.
> >
> > I cut 1/4" plugs from old keys to plug the drilled-out holes when moving
> > capstans
> > within proximity of the old hole.  I orient the grain in the same
>direction
> > as well.
> >
> > Jon

Jon Page,   piano technician