Capstans

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 02:44:03 EST

Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no (Richard Brekne) writes:

> What is your prefered method of temp fixing loose capstans on a
> quality instrument that you know for certain you are going to fix

Why do *I* have to be the one to suggest the obvious trick, the one you would
use in an emergency but also which will cause no future problem?  Water thin
CA glue.  A few drops applied to the base of each capstan.  When there is a
void, it will soak right in.  If there is no void or it has filled, the glue
will pool around the base of the capstan screw.

This is to be done carefully and in a very conservative manner.  The action
must be clean and this trick is meant to solve the unusual problem of loose
capstans only.  After the CA glue application has cured, the screw will
initially be stuck but once the bond is broken, the kind of drag and
resistance needed for tuning pins treated the same way will be evident in the
capstan screw.  Repeated applications are also possible.

If the CA glue is applied sparingly, it will not in any way interfere with
future work to restore the capstan screw holes to like new condition.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin