"pulley" keys

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:31:11 -0600

Hey Richard, in a T-handle, not drill at all...no heat, lots of control.
I'm getting the CF tool to experiment.  Thanks,
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 2:40 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: "pulley" keys

Hi Lance... I read your post rightly,, grin.. I think anyways.... I wasnt
refering to the use of any "cutting tool" as I didnt really see that as your
point.

My point is that I feel its best to use a Tool like the Yamaha tool, and go
in
from the top. If I read your posting correctly what you do is essentially to
use
a tool that has a uniform diameter its whole length, and "size" the hole to
that
diameter from the bottom of the key. Sounds good... probably works well
enough..
and I used to do it this way myself (tho not with the smooth end of a drill
bit.)

I just found that doing it from the top with a contoured tool is the fastest
and
most consistant way to do it.  A little sideways rocking from the top side
doesnt do as much...er.... "damage" (if you get my meaning) as it does from
the
bottom, and I found that it was much easier to over-do it from the bottom.

I assume you turn the drill on... so as to turn the smooth end of the bit...
how
fast does this go ?? and how much heat does that generate ??

In the end tho....  whatever works.....well... works.

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> Del, Richard, Don, Jim, et al,
>
> Maybe you've not read my _early_ posts carefully....  I used cap letters,
> highlighted, explained, that I turn the bit UPSIDE DOWN, CUTTING END IN
THE

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.