Capstans

Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:26:36 -0800

>From the information given, I'd guess an oversized pilot hole.=20

Let me make a distinction here, as well. It is possible that a factory =
might successfully turn the capstans in place. This would be done with a =
machine that would precisely grip the head of the capstan holding it =
nice an true and then spin the capstan down with no side play on the =
capstan at all. This is not how we would do the operation in our shops. =
We take a capstan wrench -- of whatever type -- and slowly crank the =
thing down. They wobble all over the place finding their way down as =
best they can.=20

By pressing, rather than turning, the capstan into a properly sized =
pilot hole, it is driven straight into the hole without much damage to =
the sides of the hole.=20

I've tried it both ways and have consistently found those capstans I =
have pressed home to be straighter and tighter than those I have turned =
in.

However, your mileage may vary.... If it works better for you to turn =
them home, then that it the proper way for you. We'll keep pressing on.

Del

-------

  ----- Original Message -----=20