My first pinblock and it's a Mason & Hamlin !!!!!

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 08:27:09 -0500

At 11:18 PM 01/08/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 01/08/01 10:38:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:
>
><<
>  Was you first tuning on Mason & Hamlin B, much less a A, or even a
> Steinway?
>  My suggestion would be to buy a very cheap grand, that is ready for the
> junk
>  yard, and do a pin block for it, before you tackle the M&H B.
>   >>

>Thanks for the advice but it's sitting in my shop. Is it doweled? If so, how
>many and approximately where? Thanks......................dy

If you can't find them, leave it alone.

The dowels would be on the ends of the block, maybe screws.
I don't think there are dowels in the stretcher. I don't think M&H
dowel'd that section but I fit new blocks tight all around.

Pick on something else, don't let a Mason & Hamlin be your first attempt
because when you're done you are going to say, "The next one will be better".
Make mistakes on something else.

Practice first !

A while ago I was gearing up my shop, I had been out of 'rebuilding' with
full time tuning,
I had not installed a block or restrung for over five years. I did not
resume on premium pianos,
but a few lesser makes to get back in the swing of things.

I can not stress this enough.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.