newbie questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:10:07 -0500

> 1) I tried to reduce false beats by seating the strings on the bridge.
> However, the bridge on my "PSO" is hard to reach. Part of the treble
> bridge is directly behind the keyboard and you can't get to it from below
> or from above. Advice? What tools (makeshift or otherwise) do you use to
> seat strings on the bridge?

Remove action. Use brass rod to push (usually don't need to tap) strings
against bridge top. Even use very short section of rod and pry against it if
needed.

Regarding false beats. Isolate the string with the false beat. Take a small
hard flat-tipped tool (a brass rod in a combination handle would be ideal)
and press firmly on the top of the forward (closest to speaking length)
bridge pin (being reasonably careful to press parallel to the pin). Play the
note (the single string). Did the false beat go away? If it did, (someone
please correct me if I am speaking an untruth here - I am straining to the
limits of my expertice!) you won't have any luck eliminating false beats
with string seating or any other false beat elimination technique. The
bridge pins are loose. They need to be properly repaired (repair ranges from
recapping bridges to squirting in CA).

Although, you did mention duct tape. Hmmmmmmmm.......I wonder

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com