Teaching.

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:41:18 EST

Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

<< The sentence below especially caught my eye.... I am curious as to why you
take
 this position.

 Perhaps I am also not quite sure what exactly you mean by "music theory" in
this
 context. Do you mean knowing simple chord types basic note scales ?

 Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

 > (If the student doesn't even have a basic understanding of music theory,
then
 > I wouldn't even teach him/her tuning.) >>

Jim also questioned this. I have had some bad experiences with wanna be
tuners who had absolutely no knowledge of music theory. And I mean that in
the broadest sense. I am not talking about chord progressions, etc., although
knowing the circle of fifths is very helpful. But a student should at least
know what a musical scale is, where the notes are on the piano, and what
intervals are. That is what I call basic music theory.  Without that basic
music theory, it would almost be impossible to teach tuning.

Now that doesn't mean someone can't learn that along the way, but it just
makes the whole process much harder. It's just like teaching kids how to play
the piano, or any other instrument. Half of the time spent learning to play
an instrument is spent learning music theory. The other half is learning how
to play the instrument. When I taught band, the kids who had a year or two of
piano lessons learned to play the clarinet much faster than those who didn't
have that "basic music theory" knowledge.

So as it related to teaching tuning, if that is all your are asked to do, or
required to do, you should not also have to teach the theory, unless, of
course, it is part of the curriculum.

Willem