newbie questions

vanbrussel vanbrussel@EURONET.NL
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:54:11 +0100

Every piano is PSO

Martin

From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:34:44 EST
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: newbie questions

cneuman@phy.duke.edu (Charles Neuman) writes:

the bridge on my "PSO" is hard to reach

For starters, I would try to curtail the kind of thinking that would lead
you
to call your own piano a "PSO".  This is what a person who is basically
insecure about his or her set of knowledge and skills says.  The idea is to
get others to believe that the person using the term is so high and mighty,
so all knowing, all powerful, having been everywhere and done everything
that
it is beneath dignity to event think of the piano in question as a piano.

This kind of person often puts up this kind of front because he or she does
not really have an answer to the question, a solution for the problem or
even
a good, basic set of skills, only a turned up nose.  The problem with this
kind of attitude is that it spreads easily.  Once one person says it, others
join in thinking it is "cool" to have disdain for one's work.  If we all go
around calling every piano a "PSO" then other people might believe that we
all "only do Steinways".  Trouble is, I have seen virtually *every* brand of
piano called a "PSO", even a Steinway and many people I have known who make
these remarks have turned out to be real phonies, down to the core.  You
can't afford to have that kind of attitude at this or at any time in this
business.
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin