Teaching.

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:29:19 +0100

In all of this I have seen written so far I have yet to see anyone comment on the
use of ETD's in teaching. I wonder if useing one of these would affect how your
priorities as a teacher. In at least one sense it would seem that it would be very
usefull if the student develops a decent hammer technique very early on, if not
before anything else. That would certainly make getting all the rest taught an
easier job I would think.

The difficulty in doing this without knowing much (if anything at all) about
tuning theory, beats, etc... can be to some significant degree dealt with by the
use of an ETD could it not? I would think you could set up several types of
excercises and drills for working on hammer technique very isolated from the rest
of "learning how to tune".  Perhaps at the same time imparting to the student some
sense of the advantages and limitations of these devices. Once the hammer
technique is at a point where it is "useable" and reasonably stable, would it not
be then much easier to get into the theory, eartraining, and the rest ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.