Teaching.

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:48:50 +0000

At 21:51 9.1.2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi everyone:
>(and breaking their first
>string...heh)
>Barb McHugh

Ahem, "having their first string break."  Very important difference.

A late teacher in Vancouver WA used to play a major seventh when testing an
octave and say "Hmmm, thereīs something wrong here!" to the students.
Since most of the students were blind and couldnīt see "le spoof", this
yielded tremendous results in student acuity. <g>

I also remember when my teacher Ken Serviss was grading my work.  If there
was something wrong he said so right away, and didnīt waste any time.
If I did something well, he didnīt say anything for 6-7 seconds.
He was obviously choosing his words carefully, I knew that I had done
something well before he even said a word.
When he started talking it was usually "In my opinion" or "I
think"  followed by another 4 second silence.  Silence is good.

Richard, when I came to the school they started me out on unisons right
away (I hadnīt even put my luggage into my room)
After I got them they had me do octaves.
After that fourths and fifths (separately), where the goal was just to make
a good sounding interval. Then Iīd try to make them good and consistent.

Then they had me do thirds, (not aiming for progression in them to begin
with).

Then it was the first leg of the temperament (All the white notes of an A
temperament, excluding B and E)
After that, the second leg (B and E and C#)
Then the third leg, which was the rest.
I think it is good to divide the temperament into segments.

Kristinn