Off-Topic: hiring a full-time technician

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:52:05 -0800

Hello Bruce,
You may also care to run an ad in the classified section of the Piano
Technicians Journal.  This section is handled by our Home Office staff and
they can be reached at:  (816) 753-7747 or fax:  (816) 531-0070.

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Bruce Murray
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 10:27 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Off-Topic: hiring a full-time technician

I apologize in advance for posting a non-technical question to the list.
I am director of the School of Music at the University of Alabama.  I
started reading the pianotech list last fall. Although I am a pianist, my
experience with the technical side the instrument is limited.  I have
learned a lot here.

Now our school's full-time technician has retired suddenly because of
health issues.  I am compelled to find a replacement, and I can imagine no
more difficult search.  My counterparts at other music schools won't talk
about their technicians, won't tell me their names, etc.  Of course, I
don't blame them; a fine technician is a fantastic asset to a music
school.

I'm not advertising here.  However, I would appreciate any advice about
places where it would be appropriate and fruitful to advertise.  Also, I
would love to know some of things that we could do (beyond salary) that
would encourage an excellent technician to relocate to Tuscaloosa,
Alabama.  We have a fine school, and quality of life is generally good,
but many persons, I am sure, would prefer to live and work in a more
metropolitan area.

If anyone would be inclined to reply (to me, not to the list, obviously),
I would be grateful.  Thank you all very much.

Regards,

Bruce Murray
Director, School of Music
The University of Alabama