Live Concert on CD-Chopin in 1/7 C Meantone

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:00:11 -0500

I too would jump at the opportunity to purchase the CD. Please encourage =
the post! Thanks.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Cc: rbrown@chorus.net=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 7:26 PM
  Subject: Live Concert on CD-Chopin in 1/7 C Meantone

  List,=20

  This Friday night, Timothy Farley RPT of Madison, WI will host the =
Czech=20
  Republic concert pianist, Radislov Kvapil in a CD release concert =
event.  The=20
  CD being released is of his last performance at Farley's in February =
2000. =20
  He played an all Chopin concert on a Steinway tuned in 1/7 Comma =
Meantone. =20
  The choice of temperament is notable because it has been used in the =
past and=20
  was the subject of very harsh criticism from a few technicians.=20

  Mr. Farley, however, uses it routinely and it his personal answer to =
Equal=20
  Temperament (ET) as a standard and usual choice of temperament for the =
modern=20
  piano.  He also designed a variation for the temperament by making one =
of the=20
  5ths pure instead of tempered.  This mitigates all of the intervals,=20
  including the Wolf 5th in the harshest part of the temperament by 2 =
cents. =20
  Many people believe that Chopin can only be played correctly in ET or =
at=20
  least a very mild Well Temperament or Quasi Equal Temperament.=20

  The concert Friday will repotedly include some Chopin but as usual, =
Kvopil=20
  will play a mix of all 19th Century Romantic composers, some being =
from his=20
  homeland, including Smetana.  My own impression has been that the =
strong and=20
  distinct colors of the 1/7 Comma Meantone enhance the moods of the =
music=20
  greatly, especially in the Wolf key.=20

  Please let me know if you are interested in getting this CD.  If there =
is=20
  enough interest, I'll encourage Farley's staff to make a post on =
Pianotech=20
  that will link to ordering information.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20