Steinway 45 sostenuto

Todd L. Mapes mapes_piano@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:13:16 -0600

List,

I worked on a Steinway 45 today and discovered that the sostenuto was
out of adjustment and was causing some of the dampers to catch on the
sostenuto as they tried to return to the at rest position.  I adjusted
the nut on the rod that came down through the keybed and that seemed to
help, but after I left, I began to wonder if there was an adjustment I
could have made above the keybed to the sostenuto that would have
rotated it farther in the "off" position so as not to catch any tabs?  I
was in a hurry and had not seen this before and didn't have time to look
over the mechanism very well.  The adjustment I made seemed to fix the
problem, but again, I wondered if there was another adjustment I should
have made that would have been better?

Todd L. Mapes
PTG Associate Member
Fort Smith, AR