Yamaha C7 Pinblock Fit

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:29:18 EST

Todd wrote:
<<"Jim,
Make a suggestion as to what other cause there might be.  My friend is a
competent RPT and I don't doubt his evaluation.">>................<<"What
other problems
have you run into that caused tuning instability.">>

Gosh Todd this is kinda like asking how long a piece of string is.....'some'
causes of instability are:
1.) drastic and possibly rapid envioronmental changes
2.) hotlights spotted on the piano
3.) loose tuning pins
4.) loose bridge pins
5.) unattached ribs
6.) loose plate fasteners
7.) rim distortion
8.) poor rendering of strings
9.) etc., etc..........
10.) one of the 'last' things I would suspect to cause tuning instability
would be a poor plate flange/pinblock fit. This would be especially true if
the piano was "20 years old" and had been tuned "every two
weeks".........this just doesn't compute in my po ole head.................

<<" My friend said it took
him 20 minutes to set one unison.  *How's that for instability?*">>

Whose? :-)

Actually this sounds more like a rendering problem than a pinblock
problem........in order for a pinblock to cause this type of difficulty
either the tuning pins would be verrrrry loose or the block would have to be
flopping around like an Oscar Meyer Wiener. Poor rendering on 'some' older
C7's is not unheard of although it is the exception to the

 Really though we would need much more info on this thingee before any cogent
opinions could be formed.
Jim Bryant (FL)