natural beats

kam@flash.net kam@flash.net
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:55:55 -0600

>...How can all of these partials, sounding
>simultaneously, produce a "natural beat" that is different from the beats
>emanating from coincidental partials?
>Howard S. Rosen, RPT

Howard, List,

All I can offer you, Howard, is it's kind of a gut experience to go with
what isn't as obvious as opposed to what is most obvious.  Both concepts
achieve basically the same goal, but the intuition one (what isn't as
obvious) possibly pays greater dividends for those that are sensitive to
such things.

This natural beat concept, for all practical purposes, can't be achieved by
everyone, let alone be necessary explained systematically by those that can
do it.  It's an inner thing.  Some people just go deeper into things than
others.  That's all.  These folks just can't help themselves.  They have to
follow that thing within them.  It could easily be considered a curse in
some circles.

I gave up long ago trying to emulate others approach to tuning as explained
by them per se.  However, when I have been able to comprehend bits and
pieces of tuning information that have 'jelled' in me, I make an attempt to
incorporate those ideas when possible.

The style of tuning I currently use today is a composite of so many
individuals' methods that I hardly know where I begin or where I end.  I'm
just thankful that I manage to accomplish a relative harmonious, stable
tuning on a day-to-day basis.

>...Forgive me if
>this sounds mean spirited.
>Thanks for you reply Keith.

No problem, Howard.  It's always frustrating when something stays just
outside the realm of understanding.  Some things a person has just got to
accept as is.  At least, that's how I get along in life right now when
something escapes my understanding.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731