adjusting capstans

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:32:55 -0600

At 08:14 AM 1/12/01 -0500, you wrote:

>I just got an action that I've never seen before and I have a question about
>it. Hopefully some one out there has run in to this. It's a 50 year old
>chickering and the key sticks are not on one plane from front to back. It
>dips down behind the balance rail pin so consequently there is no access to
>the capstan. There is access from the rear of the action but still no room
>to turn them as the back check wires are in the way. How in the world does
>one adjust a hammer line with this sucker?>>>>>>

Hi Howard,
                 I recall a similar instrument some time ago.  On closer
examination, the capstan had a square section that the traditional capstan
holes were drilled through. I managed to fashion an off set wrench and
adjust them by feel from the front.  Time I was finished there was no skin
left on my knuckles.  Trust me, I never set my normal 4-5 hammer lines,
through the regulation process.
It may be worth a second look.
Roger