CD's In 1/7 Meantone & other HT's

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:30:33 EST

List,

I attended the recital last night of Radoslav Kvapil who played an entire
evening of 19th Century Romantic works on a Steinway D tuned in Romieu's 1/7
Comma Meantone.  I'd say this, the crowd was pleased, he got a standing
ovation and played a terrific encore piece.

No mention nor announcement was ever made about the way the piano was tuned.
Mr. Farley says that if you do that, if you put a label on it, that's what
ruins it and what invites attacks from people who only want the modern piano
to be tuned in ET.

He, in fact, has a number of CD's that he has made in 1/7 Comma Meantone and
other HT's. I encouraged him to post something on this List about all that's
available and the ordering and contact information.  He probably won't do it
though because he already knows what can happen.  For all of those who would
be interested, it's just too bad because there are the few who will
deliberately make an issue out of it and cause trouble for his business.
Call it paranoia if you like, but I know from personal experinces repeated
many, many times over that there is a real basis for his trepidation.

The 1/7 Comma Meantone is not for everybody, for sure.  There is some
extraordinary beauty that comes from the music that can't be heard any other
way but of course, there is also some occasional harshness that can be
offensive to some people's taste.  If you want the good side of it, you have
to take the bad (if you can call it that) along with it.  So, for this
reason, many just stick to ET and will never really hear how beautiful a
piano can sound because they don't want to hear the rough edges.

The idea that there is no one temperament "better" than the other really did
reveal itself to me last night.  I know that with the EBVT I tune, I can get
some of what I heard last night that is so much nicer than ET but really,
just a hint of it.  But what I can also do is avoid some of the harshness
that will cause some people to go absolutely ballistic.

I hope Tim does offer his CD's for sale by making a post but if he does, he
probably won't give any information about temperament and if he doesn't,
you'll know why.  If you're interested enough, however, you can try to
contact his business on your own.  He's in the directory.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin