Panel compression rib curvatures e.t.c.

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:25:40 -0800

Hi Ron
Thanks for the post.Out her in the wild west our Indians ahem ( native
americans) are largley tame and on tribal lands and we no longer shoot at
each other .Us calif.natives,haven,t had much good surfing weather so we
stay in the shop .Isolated no more I,m discovering that people in various
locations working somewhat independently have devolped  soundbd. designs and
rib
 structuring designs that have more  similar characteristics than disimilar
and all or most all no longer opt for pure comps. crowning .As to your
comments on varying rib curvatures I also have developed similar curve
variations and have gone so far as to log some of the specs. enough times so
as to have predictable  repeatable outcomes .I.E. measuring the radius at
each rib and at certain conditions of relative humidity and also before and
after installation.I,m sure every rebuilder goes thru an evolutionary
devolpment period until the distillation of all that becomes a standard
practise of which the quality of work and satisfaction with the sound lends
itself to confidence for self and clients.Anyway each of us has doubtless
expeirimented with different types of spruce panels and used every
concievable kind of material for ribs ( or not yet anyway)and or more than
one vartiety of wood for ribs in a given board (I have)and may have opinons
worth sharing as to the results ,be they objective or subjective I don,t
care !O.K. My confesson if you haven,t already figured it out is that I,m
knew to the list and as of dec.00 and have probably missed out on all this
great discussion .To top it all off Im, having to learn to type and push
buttons but this is a great medium!So anyway, in my particular
expierimentation Ive found that ,when using sitka panels a combinatiun of
ribs has turned out to work really well for me .In that I,m trying to
achieve max. sustain  and power (who Is,nt)Using sitka ribs up to and
including the longest rib in the largest part of the belly and then
switching to sugar pine has really provided wonderful power and long sustain
especially up in the money notes ,i.e. octave 6ish Have done this on several
stwy 6ft 2,s with very satisfying results.Also on Stwy m,sI was trying to
avoid an earlier problem with octave 6 being stingy and this really helped.I
believe the lighter weight and stiffness  factors of sugar pine are not a
detriment to support in the treble because I,m thinking the stiffness for
support is there via the ribs themselves getting shorter and shorter. It
does seem to make for good impedance match .Anyone have any thoughts or
similar ideas to kick around.Or did I miss all that already.?     Dale Erwin