Piano Warrenty/False Beats

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:43:48 -0500

Hi Terry,

I did have one more thought when I read your reply and Don's post.

Something you could try...

Try taking the worst of the unisons and use the CA on the bridge pins.  If
that takes care of the problem on that unison, I think you'll have a little
more concrete evidence that it really is loose bridge pins,  (probably is,
but another little test or two can't hurt,)  and it would probably give you
a more solid leg to stand on when the 'factory rep' (or whoever) is on the
other end of the phone saying, "Are you SURE it's loose bridge pins???".

The only other thing that comes to mind that could cause those false beats
to disappear would be your further loading the soundboard by the downward
pressure on the bridge pin (changing the soundboard impedance)... but that's
a pretty big can of worms for a guy such as me.  It did come to mind though.
In such a case, something like mass loading in the bridge might make a
difference, but I'm not sure I want to go any farther with that one just
now.  I would also suspect that this type of problem would be a little more
universal to certain sections as opposed to the odd string here and there.

Just more ramblings from the peanut gallery!  :-)

Take care,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net