loose bridge pins/false beats

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:04:04 -0800

Terry,

After reading all of the various posts on this topic....

I think the manufacture -- in this case, both the manufacturer selling the
piano and the manufacturer actually making the piano -- will tell you the
damage (and they will call it 'damage') is/was caused by environmental
extremes. And this with some, at least potential, justification. Whether you
agree or disagree with this decision will not really affect it much.

Unless, of course, you can demonstrate that the problem is systemic to the
brand of piano in question, which I doubt you can do. To the best of my
knowledge this problem is not common to Kawai pianos -- the actual
manufacturer -- and I doubt their drilling, notching and pinning procedure
is any different with the Boston pianos than it is with their own Kawai
pianos.

I suspect in the end the customer will end up being responsible for any
costs involved in removing the false beats you are hearing. And, personally,
I would have a very difficult time insisting that either the manufacturer or
the customer pay for recapping the bridge -- in fact, I wouldn't even
suggest it. In general, regardless of who is picking up the tab, I am in
favor of the least intrusive repair that will end up doing the job. In this
case, I would go with water-thin epoxy. (As opposed to CA which I don't have
that much faith in over the long haul, i.e., decades.)

Regards,

Del