sources for sitka panels ? north hudson?

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:01:17 -0800

Hi Ron
Ain,t life interesting.All that O.C.D.(obsessive compulsive disorder.)ing
and some rookie shoots your theorys out the window with a little casual
info.As far as I know the material coming from north hud. has been western
white for many years unless they were also periodicly supplying sitka.I have
spoken with Dave Hughes often and I know this his supplier is n.h.and
conversation with N. gravagne over the last couple years has also confirm
same.Not to be despondent ,however if your results are pleasing this blip
will just be food for thought.I must say that  Daves pianos sound as good as
any And our discussions have centered on the ribs being  more of a primary
consideration for tone production than the panels and  he also uses the N.H.
rib stock so I,m guessing its doing the job ,but it is a softer wood than
sitka I do contend that the sound of sitka is subtley different .The sustain
is great but hey so is the other stuff.As to your crate question Dittos on
the heavy  wood crates.Allen vincent shipped me some panels last year in a 2
by 4 rimmed crate with thin plywood sides and it was much lighterAnd
reusable .I sent back 2 of six nort hud. panels last week what a
nuisance.The B panel had a 50 degree grain angle as my A 3panel did .Keep an
eye on the quartererness of these panels .The B had 4or5 pieces that were 45
degrees off the quarter ooops .In fairness the rest were nice but the
individual pieces were all a little narrow i.e.2 an half or up to 3 inch .It
is possible to get panels from soundswoods in Idaho if you not in a hurry I
had some last year with peices aswide as 7 inches with 5 or 6 being
common.Wonderful sounding stuff.they have a good supplier of raw sitka.I
think I,ll inquire again as to availability.I can supply the no. if you
wish.
Best DaleErwin from Sunny calif. and 63 degrees