Damper Head Refinishing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:27:00 -0500

Thanks for the input Mark and others. Several different approaches have been
identified to consider. I think often it will depend on what the current
status is of the old finish. I am currently doing a 70 year old piano that
had a natural finish on walnut (or something like that) heads. The finish
was not crackled, but just super dull. I have been so impressed with what I
have done with my buffing wheels on other materials, I thought "what the
heck, I'll try it" - actually I was going to hit them with a sanding wheel
to strip them, but then thought to try the buffer first. I hit them with
some red rouge and then with just a plain clean soft buffing wheel cloth.

About 12 seconds on each damper head with the two buffers - they look as
good or perhaps better than new. WOW! While I was at it I hit the wires also
and now have the wires polished and ready to go.

If the finish were not good, I would try one of these other great-sounding
suggestions. Maybe next time I will need to!

Yes I made a nice rack a while back. Made a rectangular frame,  have six or
so agraffes - some for single bass strings, some for bicords and some for
tricords. It works real nice as long as nobody bumps it.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com