pianotech-digest V2001 #57

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:56:08 -0600

>I am considering schraffed bass strings for a 1927 Chickering 5'8" grand.
>The are considerably more expensive than standard strings.  I am concerned
>that the transition from the wound to the unwound strings be seamless.
>
>Sincerely,
>Larry Toto

Hi Larry,
And a highly commendable concern it is too. Unfortunately, the expense of
the strings, schraffed or not, doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. It's
a combination of scale design and bridge and soundboard design and
condition. A new stringing scale would probably help, but you can only do
so much with that. A high quality set of strings certainly couldn't hurt,
but by itself, it won't guarantee what you're after. Are you using the
original board, bridges, and string scale?

Ron N