pianotech-digest V2001 #57

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:52:00 -0500

At 04:42 PM 01/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Query to anyone:
>
>I am considering schraffed bass strings for a 1927 Chickering 5'8" grand.
>The are considerably more expensive than standard strings.  I am concerned
>that the transition from the wound to the unwound strings be seamless.
>
>Any comment or recommendations are welcome.  You can respond privately
>if you like at toto@fovea.pndr.upenn.edu.
>
>Sincerely,
>Larry Toto

I tried this procedure on one set of bass strings, never again. The wild
harmonics
were most disparaging. For the extra money I expected more bang for the buck,
I got more wild harmonics for the extra bucks.

Consider either:
GC Piano Strings in Scarborough, Ontario   or
Sanderson in Littleton, Mass.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.