NONREFUNDABLE DEPOSITS?

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 04:54:26 -0000

Less scrupulous dealers may try to extract a "non-refundable" deposit.  I
would not recommend doing business with those who try such strong arm
tactics.  I token deposit to hold a piano for a reasonable amount of time
(24-48 hours)is normal.  But the dealer should refund the deposit in full if
the purchase does not go through.  The deposit is used largely as a
psychological tool to get the customer to feel more committed to the sale by
the act of putting money down.  It does not prevent the dealer from
presenting the piano to other potential customers.  In fact, sometimes a
hold on a piano can make the instrument seem more desirable to another
customer.  Dealers will use the hold to create a greater sense of urgency.

David Love RPT and former sales director in a high-end retail business.