Voicing hard hammers

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:58:08 -0800

Hi,

I highly recommend giving the hammers a good blast of 50/50 water
and alcohol.  I don't use fabric softener.  I have found that the
results are about the same.  You may need several applications if
they are exceptionally hard- the shoulders, strike point, the
works.  You will discover that this is a GREAT way to voice
hammers once you get the hang of it.  I use the stuff even in
fine voicing a drop at a time in specific areas.  It really cuts
down on the amount of needling required and if you are skilled at
it you will be amazed at how close you can get without so much as
a pin prick, (although I recommend the "fine tuning" so to speak
with the needle).  Anyway, yes, drown them.  It won't hurt them,
it is reversible, and they ain't gunna be hard no more.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV