ET for Guitar

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:52:22 -0600

Bill
I've played guitar for years and accepted the "normal" way to tune. I =
very interested in a "better" way. Do you know a better method?

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Cc: SwamiJuan@AOL.COM=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 7:41 PM
  Subject: ET for Guitar

  List,=20

  I went to the website for the Guild of American Luthiers that Charles =
Neuman=20
  posted:=20

  http://w3.ime.net/~cygnus/equal_temperament.html=20

  I found a document which tells how that organization feels the guitar =
should=20
  be tuned.  Here are a few phrases from it that seemed to jump out at =
me:=20

  "...equal temperament. You must accept this compromise..."=20

  "...Guitarists ... must learn to understand and accept equal =
temperament."=20

  "...while in equal temperament each 5th must be lowered slightly. "=20

  "Tune the guitar as instructed below and let it stand... help your ear =
accept=20
  equal temperament."=20

  "...the strings will be tuned perfectly to equal temperament. No =
further=20
  tuning adjustments are permissible."=20

  ...................Guitarists of the world:  Don't believe it, it's =
not true, there is a better,=20
  more musical way to tune your instruments.  Take the credibility issue =
with=20
  "lowering of the 5th" as your license to ignore this document as =
having any=20
  validity at all.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20