Nosing Around

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:00:21 -0500

> The only one I can think of that is perhaps an exception (Most all of the
other nose bolts you
> encounter have a larger portion of the bolt that does not go through the
> plate which provides a lip that the various points of the plate sit on,
and
> then the smaller threaded portion which normally comes up through the
plate
> and gets the nut put on it.) is the single
> Steinway bolt that runs down through the plate in the treble end, the one
> that goes down into the "tone bell".  Most all of the other nose bolts you
> encounter have a larger portion of the bolt that does not go through the
> plate which provides a lip that the various points of the plate sit on,
and
> then the smaller threaded portion which normally comes up through the
plate
> and gets the nut put on it.  On the "tone bell" bolt, there is no lip on
it.
> It is normally set so that it's just past finger tight when the piano is
not
> under tension.  Once there is tension on the piano, you will need a wrench
> to move that bolt.

Gee Whizz Brian. Nice explanation, but your experience must be limited to
pianos manufactured by those high-end companies. I've had several plates out
of grands now and I have never seen a bolt like the "Most" that you
describe. In fact, I have never seen a bolt! Don't ALL great pianos have a
large wood screw going through the middle of the plate, through a hole in
the soundboard, and into the framing below?

Shamefully telling, eigh? But seriously, I have been assuming the way to
adjust these is to do as you describe for the "tone bell" bolt. Unless of
course you are purposely bending the plate to get desired downbearing on
these wonderful pianos that may not deserve a new board/bridge caps!

You made me laugh Jeannie. It's amazing where our minds can take us when
"zoning out" during a tuning!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida