Nosing Around

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:28:40 EST

In a message dated 1/18/01 11:21:46 PM Central Standard Time,
jgrassi@silverlink.net writes:

<< Good evening, List,
 While zoning out on a tuning today I realized I had been staring at the nose
 bolts on this Petrof Grand for quite some time.  That was when I realized
 that I don't know very much about them....their true purpose, when they are
 tight enough, how are they supposed to be tightened.  I know some of you
 have all sorts of information on these rather respectable size screws and
 I'm just dying to hear from you.

 jeannie

Nose bolts are there to keep the plate from exploding. The bolt up from the
soundboard has a ledge on which the plate sits. The nut on top is tightened
to keep the plate sitting on that ledge. When the plate is put in, before
strings are put on, the bolt is turned so that the plate and the ledge are
together, without raising the plate. The nut should also not push the plate
down. Either one of those will bend the plate, which is not good.

Contrary to what some technicians think, down bearing cannot be adjusted with
the nose bolt. Lowering the plate, by lowering the nose bolt, and tightening
the nut, is not going to give the piano more down bearing. All that will do
is put the plate under tension, and it might crack.

Willem