steam voicing

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:56:02 -0600

>little water, the iron does not cool rapidly. Keep in mind also that it MAY
>be the case that Roger Jolly (and people like him - you know the type) does
>not spend all day voicing Betsy Ross spinets that haven't had hammers voiced
>in 50 years.

Hi Terry,
            Stop bragging!!!!!!   We have the wonderful Mason and Risch
Century 11 on this side of the border.  It even gives a whole new meaning
to the term PSO.
Sorry for the quip.
When hammers are heavily doped, steam is far less effective than other
methods, and are slow to change the tone.
 Doped hammers tend to brighten back up quite quickly with steam alone.
However, steaming before needling will make it easier for the needles to
penetrate. I often use the combination .
Roger