Weird Wurly

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 06:24:09 -0600

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:22:14 -0600 "John M. Formsma"
<jformsma@dixie-net.com> writes:
> Greetings, List.
>
> Ran across a piano yesterday that was a first for me. It was a
> WurliTzer
> baby grand, model number A-A9-40. The serial number is 195--- (don't
> have
> the details in front of me at the moment).
>
> This piano was unusual in that there was a metal "case" which could
> be
> lifted from the piano, exposing the soundboard and whatever rim
> construction
> it had. This is the only "lid" it has. It certainly is
> non-traditional--has
> anyone seen one of these and was it by chance an experimental
> design, or
> perhaps a demonstration model?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> John Formsma
> Blue Mountain, MS

John,  Back in the late 60's and early 70's,  there was a company, I
think in Chicago,  that would take existing grands and remove the
case/furniture.  They would install pick-ups, build a custom covering and
legs for what was left.  It could then be transported easier by bands who
wanted a real piano sound.   You must realize this was BD.  (before
digital)  I think the company was named Hilfinger or something like that.
 I tuned a Kimball grand years ago that had had this treatment and
inquired as to what, who why, when, etc.  Hope this helps.

Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.