Training New Tech (long)

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:58:22 -0800

Hi Terry,
Sorry this is a bit long-winded but you bring up some questions that I think
deserve to be addressed.

The first thing you might want to ask yourself is if you feel qualified to
be teaching someone else.  I noticed that you are still an associate, but
that doesn't necessarily mean that you're not skilled enough to be a
teacher.  That would be for you to decide.  I can't comment on your personal
qualifications, that is something only you can do.

I recently took on a student for almost the identical reasons you mention.
She  is a piano teacher, also.  But I soon found out that I was not able to
spend the time that a new student really requires.  (She also signed up for
the Potter course).  If you are busy now, ask yourself where this extra time
is going to come from to teach someone.  You may be putting in an enormous
share of the training/learning ratio in the beginning and then when she will
be able to return the favor and do some work for you, she may have moved on
to another military assignment.

There seems to be an issue of attitude on her part that I would investigate.
She may be suffering from the same illusion that so many do in that "it
doesn't look that hard to learn. Anyone who approaches their learning as
only a good thing to do "part time," does not have the sense of commitment
and dedication to really develop the skills needed to become a qualified
technician. (Or she may not be aware of the enormous amount of learning one
must go through to be qualified to actually charge money in this business.)
One must have the attitude of becoming a good technician on the learning
end, regardless of how many hours they actually chose to work after they
learn.

While I was Seattle Chapter President a few years ago, I spoke with many
hopeful piano technicians who thought that if they only wanted to work part
time, that meant they would only have to "learn" part time or that they
wouldn't really need to learn "everything".  When I hear someone say "part
time", I often hear them meaning that they don't really want to think of
him/herself and a professional.  That is always a red flag for me.

I don't know about other areas, but ours is saturated with too many part
time and partially educated technicians.  What we could use more of are
people totally dedicated to learning and then working as a professional.

Does she have any mechanical/technical skills?  It is better than it used to
be, but unfortunately women STILL are not getting hands-on experience with
tools and not challenging their mechanical reasoning as much as boys/men
are.  This can be overcome, but often it is an indication of where her
interest lies.  If she doesn't already own a box of tools, why not?  Maybe
it's because she isn't inclined in that area.   Many people don't see piano
tuners as mechanics; all they see is the person with the tuning hammer and a
few mutes, making the piano sound better.  She may not be aware that she
will have to become comfortable problem-solving with tools.

Is she serious enough to invest the money in ALL the tools she might need in
the field, even if she is only working part time?  This is quite a financial
investment, as you know.  Someone who only wants to work part time may be
thinking she doesn't  need all of the tools, either.

And finally, other than having help in your shop (which she could do without
being trained as a "technician") and your affinity for being a good
Samaritan, what do you stand to gain from this relationship?  Are there no
other technicians in the area to whom you could pass along some work or hire
to help you out from time to time?  Training someone is just (or maybe more)
of a commitment on your part as it may be on hers.

I hope this is helpful and whichever way you decide, that you feel good
about your decision.

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net