Small temperament octave

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:07:03 -0500

on 1/15/01 8:37 PM, Howard S. Rosen at hsrosen@gate.net wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Do you think that tuning a piano (any type) will sound a bit "sweeter"
> (narrower thirds) than it otherwise would, if one starts out with the
> narrowest temperament octave (2/1) rather than the often recommended 4/2+
> octave?

Howard,

I would think that the difference between the two (piano tuned with 2-1
temperment  vs. 4-2) would be almost unnoticable to most mortals. I also
believe that there is a difference, but that style (period of composition,
harmonic and melodic voicing of the piece, range, modulation, etc. ) would
enter into the equaition of which sounds best.
    I tend to think  (piano scaling aside) that 'choral' style writting
sounds best with the calmer temperment stretch.

 Dan Reed
Dallas Chapter