Training New Tech

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:19:11 +0100

Hi Terry...

I'd like to echo a few things that Jeannie Grassi writes...as I think
she makes some very important points. Especially the time you need to be
able to spend. I am in the process of helping Ole Anderson learn to
tune. He is kind of a special case cus he really knows a good deal about
partial theory and tuning in general (from a theoretical point) already.
He is able to work on his own and given a few guidelines and a ETD he
practices on very specific aural and tuning hammer skills while with
me. My job in Oles case is more or less to help him learn on his own.
Even so, I wish we both had more time to give each other in this process.

Teaching someone from total scratch is a different ball park  I think
you are going to need a lot of time for hands on instruction to give
this person. Do you have that time ? Is your work situation such that
you can easily work side by side in many cases for example ??

I aggree also with Jeannie as to the importance of attidude towards the
work. It isnt just easy to learn how to tune well and repair well. A
student needs to know that a good portion of hard work and dedication
and willl power is neccessary if one is to learn piano work.... or any
other work for that matter. Jeannies comments about her experiences as
Chapter president in relation to prospective "tuners" were well worth
reading a couple times when thinking about taking on a student.

I certainly dont want to discourage you.. quite the opposite... but be
sure of the following..... as best you can.

1. You can truely teach her the things she needs to know.
2. She is serious enough about learning that its worth both yours and
her time.
3. You have enough time and  resources available to you to actually
mangage it.
4. Its something you really want to do.

If you do go for it... good luck and I hope you learn from the
experience as well. I know my first sortie into this world has been very
rewarding so far.

all the best

--
Richard Brekne