Weird Wurly

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:15:46 -0600

John,   Thanks for right name!  Didn't think I was correct, knew it began
with an "H" though.
The CP 70/80's are nice, but once strings start to break, you better
restring the whole instrument, and be sure to check the v-bar in the
bass.

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:37:19 -0700 John Musselwhite
<john@musselwhite.com> writes:
> At 06:24 AM 1/20/2001 -0600, Bill S wrote:
>
> >John,  Back in the late 60's and early 70's,  there was a company,
> >think in Chicago,  that would take existing grands and remove the
> >case/furniture.  They would install pick-ups, build a custom
> covering and
> >legs for what was left.  It could then be transported easier by
> bands who
> >wanted a real piano sound.   You must realize this was BD.  (before
> >digital)  I think the company was named Hilfinger or something like
> that.
>
> Helpenstill.  They are apparently back in business again making
> their piano
> pickup system, which sells for about $550. You still see them in
> live
> performance venues once in a while.
>
> I tuned one of those portable stage pianos for Bill McCaulder
> (Powder
> Blues/Willie and the Walkers) years back. As I recall it wasn't very
> stable
> compared to a CP-70/80, but it was a "real piano".
>
> Helpenstill also made a small vertical that folded into its own road
> case,
> but the only examples I saw of those were disasters compared to the
> Yamaha
> "stage" vertical.
>
>                          John
> John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
> http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
> email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom

Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL