Is it worth it? Was: steam voicing

Michael Musial piano@villagehost.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:45:33 -0500

Hello

> One way I help myself make decisions regarding expensive items is to ask myself
> these questions:  How often will I use this item?  How long will it last?  What
> is its worth to me?  Eighty bucks is pretty much for a wattage controller, I
> guess, but if it will last a lifetime and you use it eighty times, it's well
> worth it.  That's only a buck per job.

I am willing to pay a lot for quality if I know what I am buying. I always tend to
buy the best (usually more expensive) tools/supplies. The wattage controller
is another matter. I was considering a cheap dimmer controller but was
not sure if it would work well with a soldering iron. I thought it
might not work or that it might overheat, hence my tendency to
consider the wattage controller. The info someone posted that said...

> A simple dimmer control for about 2-3 dollars works jujst fine for a temp
> control for any kind of resistive load up to about 600 watts.

was exactly what I was looking for!  It is off to the hardware store
tomorrow.     Thanks!

--
Michael Musial
Reedsville Pa