SV: tuning timing

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:21:33 +0100

> By the
> time I get to the last octave, I'm ready to scream>
> Charles Neuman
> Plainview, NY

As a beginner I feel that way too. It's getting easier everyday though.
Some times it's so bad that I look at the end to see if A or hopefully not C is the last note.

I got a tip from the great Dr. Jim Coleman that sometimes appear on this list that help me alot.
For a bad piano (wich I often get) I first do a pitch raise then a rough tuning and then I start to tune.
This stabilise the pressure on the bridge so the treble don't fool you after tuning the tenor part. Also by this time you have pitch rasied the bass so not very much will happen with the pressure when you tune it. This way I don't have to fight with the last octave. When I feel I start to fight and move the strings to much  I rather do a quick rough tuning and then starts to tune again. Jim Coleman said this way was faster and I've found that to be true.

Well the pins fools me so I have to get my hammer technic work better and I've just got some tip about tuning a little harder on the piano and will try that. I've also like Bill Bremer said, started to tune the bass last so when the bass is finished I can go back and pick up the lost unisons.

I hope some more experinced tuners will jump in if they find this to be wrong

Ola Andersson