New, Improved Baldwins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:20:23 -0600

In the vendor exhibition arena at Arlington, I talked briefly with the
Baldwin rep who told me about some planned changes in the product line.
Today I finally got to tune  a new L, so I got a chance to look one over.
Looks like a rubbed out polyester finish, and has the three stick lid prop
- as promised. It also has a fancy new scripty and colorful soundboard
decal, also as promised, as well as a slow fall fallboard. What wasn't
promised was the fact that the tuning pin holes in the plate webbing were
drilled out to, near as I could measure, a fer sure full 7/16"! There
wasn't a single solitary pin in the whole piano leaning against the plate.
I was quite impressed. Why didn't he mention that? The pins were left a bit
high (coil bottoms 5mm - 7.5mm off the plate), but they were unusually
uniform in torque, and not a snap through a quarter semitone pitch raise
and tuning, though they were pretty tight. They were generally quite
controllable and comfortable. The strings were probably a little high on
the hitch pins at around 7mm, but the bearing throughout was just right by
my reckoning, the soundboard crown was positive, and the overall sound of
the piano was quite presentable if bright. Some general hammer softening
and voicing could produce a quite nice sounding piano out of this one. The
regulation is pretty ragged, but the piano has been in service since
August, so I don't know how it was on delivery. Since I don't recall ever
seeing a regulation improve under hard use, I assume it was better five
months ago. If this is step one in the new enhanced design and quality
control regimen, I certainly approve. I also hope they leave the nice
marketing enhancements and continue to improve on the performance and
quality control tolerances. These could easily be very nice instruments.

Ron N