Replacing Key Leads

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:21:50 -0000

Paul:

Is it that the lead swells or that the wood in the key swells compressing
the lead and forcing it out the side of the key?  I think I would just shave
it off.  But if you want to remove them, Renner used to sell a set of key
lead removing pliers.  I bought one several years ago.  I don't know if they
are still available but they work very well.  Otherwise, I would take a
forstner bit a little larger than the leads you want to remove and drill a
hole in a scrap block of wood approximately 4" long, 2" wide, 1" deep.  Lay
the key on the block with the lead over the hole.  Make sure that the key
lays flat on the block of wood, i.e. do not let the block span the angled
part of the key.  The block of wood will support the sides of the key around
the lead as you tap it out into the hole.  If the lead has been swedged on
one side only, put that side down as it will be the wide side and you don't
want to drive it through the key.  Then use a wide punch and tap it out with
a hammer.  There should be no risk of breaking the key.

David Love