New, Improved Baldwins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:59:14 -0600

>> Yes, but I'm not sure it's necessary to anything specific, one way or the
>> other. Why would that be a feature?
>
>The one place this is important is along the inside curve of the rim along
>the treble side where the grain angle of the solid-spruce soundboard roughly
>parallels the curve of the rim. If the ribs are not set into notches in the
>rim through this region the soundboard has a slight tendency to develop a
>crack just at the intersection of the board and the inner rim.

Ah yes, that makes sense. I've never floated a full set of ribs and hadn't
considered that. Well, since their new featured crowned ribs are really the
old standard crowned ribs mortised into the case, perhaps that little added
stiffness made the difference - unless they changed the rib profiles. In
any case, this was the first new L I'd seen in years that had an acceptable
killer octave, and I like it.

Ron N