Bass bridge question

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:14:57 EST

Don wrote:
<<"In the strictess sense of the word a sound board is a transducer--it can
not *add* energy. In an audio ampliphier a small signal is used to control
a larger one...........">>

Don, et al;
 This conumdrum of amplifier vs transducer is an old one and neither of the
definitions really fit what a soundboard does...but that's just my opinion.

 An "amplifier" adds energy and a soundboard definitely does not do that.....

 A "transducer" changes energy from one form to another and a soundboard
doesn't do that either since vibration/oscillate is inherent in both the
string and the soundboard.

 It is a 'transmitter' though according to the definition;, i.e. "To convey
(force or energy) from one part of a mechanism to another."  But then merely
transmitting that energy doesn't explain what the principle behind the
strings almost inaudible sound being made immently audible through linkage
with the soundboard is without the air present.....so I guess it really isn't
a transmitter either ... :-(

How bout we consider the soundboard to be a 'amptranmitter'...you know a
functional applicance that contains no totality of any of the three but
performs large segments of them all? :-)

Just a rather weak thought.
Jim Bryant (FL)