Muting Behavior

Dan Hallett Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:04:34 -0500

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:49:27 +0000
From: Kristinn Leifsson <istuner@islandia.is>
Subject: Muting behaviour

Hi,

As some of you may know, one has to meddle a little bit around with a
temperament in order to get it working.

Thatīs why I raised an eyebrow when a colleague of mine told me he tuned
only using two mutes.  No temperament strip, so when he does the
temperament he has to tune all the strings of a given unison, and then
tunes the next note.
Now, if he has to change a note, (which is quite normal when tuning
temperament as you know) he has to tune all the unisons again!  He says it
doesnīt take more time, that the time of putting the strip in weighs
against the time it takes to tune all the strings all the time.

This is as rheumatic as two dry toasts, I feel.  (plagiarized from
Shakespeare)

What do you think?  Do any of you do this?

Kristinn

Kristinn -

There's a local tech that only uses one mute - and sets everything easily.
I've seen him do many a piano, and he often sets the string with only one
blow. The piano stays, too. He once worked at Steinway as the first fine
tuner. Not sure if he had that technique then or developed it later. He's in
his late seventies now. Was absolutely amazing to watch.

Dan Hallett

mailto:dhalle@toolcity.net