Humidity Control System issue

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:11:47 -0500

At 01:26 AM 01/25/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi folks:
>
>Here's a nice one: A couple of days ago I came upon a Yamaha Grand (G1 or so)
>which looked to be between 15 and 25 years old with a humidity control system
>installed neatly underneath.  It consisted of 2 heater bars and a water tank
>unit and, of course, the brain.  The shame is that the brain was not smart
>enough to realize that whoever installed the system (around 8 yrs ago
>according to the customer) got the two outlets mixed up.
>
>That's right - the heater bars were plugged into "HUMIDIFIER" and the tank
>was in "DEHUMIDIFIER" and those heater bars were humming.  Sure enough there
>was a crack in the soundboard that you could drop a credit card through as
>well as signs of dried out mildew.  Another in a long line of pianos I have
>seen damaged by inept usage of these systems.
>
>I am not a fan of these systems although I know a lot of you readers out
>there are and I am not interested in debating the issue, however, I do have a
>suggestion for the manufacturer which I will now put out there for any who
>wish to pick this ball up.
>
>Since the manufacturer of these units has no real control over who installs
>them and I am not aware of any factory installations occurring, they may wish
>to consider employing a keyed system where heater bars are keyed ONLY to plug
>into the correct socket on the brain, and NOWHERE else.  The water tank could
>have its own keyed plug as well.

Perhaps stickers placed beside the outlets further identifying them as:
Heat  and Water.
Sort of like "Installation For Dummies" nomenclature.

Evidently Humidifier and De-humidifier are twenty-five cent words for
someone with a ten cent vocabulary.

Last week, I came across a double rod system where two 8W rods were plugged
into each outlet.
I removed them from under the beams of the grand and advised more powerful
units.

Maybe their promotion should stress the benefits of installation rather
than "You can make good money, too".

Jon Page