New, Improved Baldwins

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:04:00 -0600

I was called out to see a Baldwin R less than 2 years old. The piano was
unplayable. The action was in need of thorough regulation, but the _big_
problem was that the front rail was bowed up, decreasing the key dip by
unworkable amounts. The front rail has adjustable studs in the keybed, but
the front rail was flying way above the studs, making for a rather
interesting feel while playing. I must admit I wasn't sure what to do; if I
raise the studs to bed the front rail, and adjust the height of the keys and
the front rail punchings to get correct key dip, won't I just be asking for
problems if the front rail decides to change shape again come the high
humidity of summer?

Any experience out there that could help in this situation?

Kent Swafford