New, Improved Baldwins

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:27:02 -0600

At 12:04 01/25/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I was called out to see a Baldwin R less than 2 years old. The piano was
>unplayable. The action was in need of thorough regulation, but the _big_
>problem was that the front rail was bowed up, decreasing the key dip by
>unworkable amounts. The front rail has adjustable studs in the keybed, but
>the front rail was flying way above the studs, making for a rather
>interesting feel while playing. I must admit I wasn't sure what to do; if I
>raise the studs to bed the front rail, and adjust the height of the keys and
>the front rail punchings to get correct key dip, won't I just be asking for
>problems if the front rail decides to change shape again come the high
>humidity of summer?
>
>Any experience out there that could help in this situation?
>
>Kent Swafford

Some idle thoughts...

-Can we assume that the center and back rail are straight?
-Can we assume that the glide bolts weren't factory cranked up so high as
to force the front rail levitation?
-By bowed, I guess that it is high in the center?
-When the cheek blocks are loosened, do the ends move up?
-If the ends stay put, then what you have is a wooden leaf spring for a
front rail.

Before you consider my suggestion valid, you must be ABSOLUTELY positive in
which piece, where and in what direction the warp is going.

If it weren't a brand gnu, under warrantee, hardly broke in piano, I would
consider if I could reduce the bow by kerfing the rail.  A kerf on the top
would allow gravity to straighten the rail, but the springiness of the wood
would probably still leave a nice slap.  A kerf on the bottom with veneer
inserted would force it straight.  I've certainly kerfed a number of keys
to correct warps (usually barrel type), but never a keyframe, so take this
suggestion as just cyber thinking out loud.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.